(Washington Post: Published 09/10/2015, Eunjung Cha, Ariana, Web)
U.S. officials said a second person had died from consuming cucumbers contaminated with salmonella poona and that the number of cases has increased to 341 people in 30 states. More than half of those who have become ill are children younger than 18 years of age and 70 people have become so sick they were hospitalized. The first victim was a 99-year-old woman from San Diego, California officials said. The second was a woman in Texas who had other serious health problems, the state’s department of health services reported.
The latest outbreak of salmonella poisoning is linked to “slicer” or American cucumbers imported from Mexico. Dark green and typically 7 to 10 inches, they are typically sold at supermarkets in a bulk display without wrapping. Last week, Andrew & Williamson Fred Produce voluntarily recalled all of its cucumbers sold under the “Limited Edition” brand because of worries of contamination. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggested that consumers who are unsure whether their cucumbers were recalled should contact the retailer.
Signs of infection include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps and can last four to seven days; most people recover without treatment.
Here are the states where cases have been documented so far, according to the CDC: Alaska (9); Arizona (66); Arkansas (6); California (72); Colorado (14); Hawaii (1); Idaho (8); Illinois (6); Kansas (1); Kentucky (1); Louisiana (4); Minnesota (12); Missouri (8); Montana (10); Nebraska (2); Nevada (7); New Mexico (18); New York (4); North Dakota (1); Ohio (2); Oklahoma (8); Oregon (8); Pennsylvania (2); South Carolina (7); Texas (18); Utah (30); Virginia (1); Washington (10); Wisconsin (2); and Wyoming (3).
The lawyers at Liever, Hyman & Potter, P.C., are concerned for the safety of families in Reading, Berks County, PA, Pottsville, Schuylkill County, PA, and throughout Eastern and Central PA. The lawyers there handle personal injury claims, including claims for injuries or death caused by unsafe or dangerous products.
From the desk of Adam K. Levin, Esquire.